Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Another Loved One Gone

October 27, 2007
After the roller coaster we were on this summer we thought that the fall would be smooth sailing. However, a couple of week into the fall we received another phone call that my grandpa Davis was not doing very well. We decided to go and see him while he would still remember us and I’m glad we did. As we walked in to see him he was asleep in his chair and we woke him up to talk to him. Mindy asked if we could take a picture and grandpa said it wasn’t often that two good looking men were in the same picture frame together. We shared some laughs and a lot of love that day. We talked with grandpa about Callie and the fact that she was in heaven. He told us she was beautiful and that he was ready to see her. After about an hour I asked to have a couple of minutes with grandpa. After we were alone I began to pray for him, not that he would be healed but rather that his suffering would end. I knew in my heart that he was ready for heaven and my heart was ready for him to go. Although it hurt, I loved my grandfather enough to say it. Right after the amen I looked up and saw a slight smile on his face through my tears. This was the same smile that could always light up a room and the same smile that always said I love you. By seeing that small faint smile I knew that everything would be alright an it was because a few weeks later he would be joining his eternal family in heaven and I would see him again one day.

October 28, 2007
As I mentioned last time my grandpa David did pass away which meant that our family had endured its fourth death this year. It has honestly been an extremely trying year with all the day and also the grief but somehow we are plugging along and trying to move forward. During my grandpa’s viewing things were alright and I thought I was fine. However the following day at the funeral I was extremely moved and upset by his passing. Actually, in hindsight, I think it was more anger and frustration then grief. You see ever since we lost Callie I have had a longing in my heart to be reunited with her and the thought that my grandfather got that before me honestly upset me. I know this sounds crazy but it’s true because part of me was honestly frustrated with all of this. I had to pull myself to the back of the church, pray, and think these things through. Although it was a challenging day and a day of grief, I listened as his children shared their memories of my grandfather. The two that came across the board were his love for other people and his smile. As I sat there I started to think of myself and I realized that those were two things often said about me. The more I thought about I realized that I have more of my grandfather in me than I thought. Also, after praying about the Callie situation, I am grateful that another member of her earthy family joined her in heaven. Although I still long to see her, I can rest assured that one day I will and her family that is already there will celebrate with me when that day comes.

No comments: