Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Calming Reminder From Two Great Bands

October 29, 2007
These past few months have been a roller coaster ride that no one could have predicted. During this time I feel as though I have been stretched and that I have grown in my faith. I think about Mike Yaconelli’s last words of when I look back on my life, I want to be able to say “What a ride!” My prayer is that I will be able to say that same thing and if the remainder of my life has is at all similar to these past few months than it will be a ride. I have no idea what is in store for Mindy and I in the days, weeks, and months to come but I do know that I will continue to serve my God and learn more about the truths He desires to teach me. I have never been one who is big on journaling before. Normally I start and a few days in, it gets disregarded, however this time something is different. You see this stems from a couple things first is that while we were going through all of this stuff I had some conversations with our pastor and our associate. We were discussing the issues and the lessons to be learned from them. After a number of lengthy discussions I decided that I should write down our experiences and feeling so that the lessons learned would forever be remembered. The final thing that made me decide to start journaling regularly was a special weekend that Mindy and I shared in August. We went away for our anniversary and part of our trip included seeing a concert at the Indiana State Fair. We reserved tickets to see Casting Crowns and Jeremy Camp in concert which excited me because I love both bands. The concert was incredible but a couple of things during the concert had an extremely profound effect on me. First, was while Casting Crowns were performing their lead singer, Mark Hall, shared his passion for youth. As a fellow youth worker I understand his passion but he began to comment about something that made me think. He talked about his dorkiness and how he embraced it. As I began to think about my life I thought of the number of times that I had tried to hide my weaknesses or my dorky qualities rather than work on them. I realized this was something to be worked on through future encounters. The second thing also occurred while Casting Crowns shared their background for the song “Praise You in the Storm.” There was a young girl who was about eleven or twelve who was terminally ill with cancer. Despite here circumstances she continued to praise God knowing full well the storm of life that surrounded her. I thought about the number of times I listened to that song between my calls to ministry and how the worlds always spoke to my heart. Despite our circumstances and storms we must never lose focus of the great and glorious God we serve.
The last major insight that came was when Indiana native Jeremy Camp was on the stage. I know that most artists share their testimonies or what is on their heart which is great but many times I don’t get much from it. However, this time just like with Casting Crowns things clicked. Jeremy shared the story about his first wife who at a very young age (late 20’s I think) was taken home to be with the Lord because of cancer. He shared about how she would sit in her wheelchair and sing praises to God all day long. As he was sharing I started to think about Callie and I immediately teared up. I remembered holding our angel in my arms and looking at her beautiful face with her bright red lips open like she was singing. Everyone who saw her said she was already singing in heaven. As her father I know I’m biased but I’m sure that she has the most beautiful voice in heaven and I can’t wait to hear it someday as Callie and I perform a duet in heaven. Although these past few months have been crazy I look back in the lesson I have been taught, the increase in my faith and the closeness of Mindy and I and I must say that although it’s hurt and been painful, “What a ride!” I am looking forward to whatever God has in store for me in the future because I know that by clinging to Him I will get through as these last few months are evidence of God’s grace and His ultimate healing power as He has worked on my heart.

No comments: